Saturday, November 3, 2007

Off to the Beach

Good morning! Lauren and I are heading off to the beach at San Juan del Sur in a few minutes but I wanted to give a quick update before we leave.

Yesterday I had class and then a good lunch with the kids. The younger kids (Ysaac and Leonardo) were at home so just the four older kids (Carlos, Kevin, Ninoska, and Sonia) were there. I think not having the younger kids there allowed the older kids some freedom since they didn't have to worry about looking after their younger siblings. We had lots of fun and Sonia(!) announced to everyone else that they could choose either a ride or ice cream after lunch. We didn't have any trouble with that issue yesterday.

The kids really missed Nefret. They asked me about her repeatedly and made me promise to tell her how much they love her. It's amazing the impact she had on the kids in just a few days.

After lunch I went to Compassion for two reasons. First, they called me back on Thursday and needed email addresses for my references, so I delivered them. Second, I wanted to talk with someone about getting the kids involved in the Compassion program, where they can be sponsored and receive education, basic heath care, food, and a safe place to go. I don't know whether this will work out - I just read that the kids must be between the ages of 3-9 - but if not maybe they can give me the name of another organization which can help them. Maybe at least Leonardo and Ysaac can get involved.

Ok, off to the beach. We will be home tomorrow (Sun) at some point, and I will try to blog then. Hope you have a great weekend!

No comments: