Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Family Problems and Angelic Children

I saw Sonia’s father selling his car accessories when I got off the bus yesterday morning so I decided to go tell him that we’d go to the school on Wednesday. After I attempted to convey this point, he told me some story from which I only understood that there was a fight. The language barrier can be so frustrating sometimes. I then walked to class before returning for lunch.

Thankfully all of the kids – Ninoska included – came to lunch yesterday. Unlike Friday, they were all happy and drama-free. Unfortunately, the same could not be said for the parents. Sonia’s mother and Ninoska’s mother are sisters and don’t seem to have the friendliest relationship. Sonia’s mother complained to me about her sister, telling me they got in a fight this weekend. She showed me the cut above her lip and some sort of court-related paper detailing the incident. Ninoska’s mother was present during this conversation, leading me to feel quite awkward.

Ninoska explained to me that her mother was upset with Sonia’s mother because Sonia’s mother asked me for money to buy a crib for her baby. Ninoska’s mom thought her sister was taking advantage of me. Supposedly that was the root of all of the drama on Friday, and it escalated when Sonia’s mother told Ninoska that I told her not to come to lunch anymore. I will say that, in light of my poor Spanish, there is plenty of room for error in these explanations, but this is what I could gather yesterday.

I was quite worried that the families were fighting because of something I have done. I told both mothers that I want to help both families, not play favorites. They explained to me that they were having family problems apart from me. Whether this is true or not, I’m not sure. Not that the situation is any better if I am not the cause, but I would feel terrible if somehow I was making things worse.

Lunch itself was great. For some reason the kids were very well behaved. I wondered what happened to them over the weekend. For the most part they refrained from rolling around on the floor, running into people, pressing the alarm button on the elevator, or pushing the emergency stop button on the escalator.

I had a chance to talk with just Ninoska’s mother after lunch and tried to explain my plan to get the kids into the Catholic school near their house. She said she would come with us on Wednesday to try to set it up. That conversation was very encouraging. I’m really hoping that we can make progress on this school endeavor before I leave.

Two more days before we come back! I am realizing how blessed I am to have a life that I love here as well as one in Baltimore. We can’t wait to see everyone.

Much love,

dw

No comments: