Monday, October 15, 2007

Yesterday was fairly ordinary. The highlights of the day were going to church and having Esmir and Brad over to watch football in the afternoon. It rained quite a bit, forcing us to stay inside and merely stare at the pool through the window.

Church was pretty cool yesterday. We watched a video clip about Team Hoyt. If you don’t know their story, and even if you do, it’s definitely worth watching. The son, Rick, was born with cerebral palsy and cannot walk or talk. After his father, Dick, pushed him in his wheelchair in a benefit race in 1977, Rick communicated that he didn’t feel handicapped when they were racing. Since then they have competed in over 65 marathons, 200 triathlons, and biked/ran across the country. It’s an amazing story of a father loving his son. I cry every time I see the video, and today was no exception.

This morning I went to Compassion to talk with Maria Jose but found that she is in training all day. I left my number and she is supposed to call sometime. I figure I will probably head back there tomorrow sometime. If it’s meant to be it will work out. Otherwise, I’m sure there is something else I am supposed to be a part of that that will be revealed in due time.

I took a couple buses home from Compassion today, which was a good experience. It was nice to get the routes figured out. Hopefully I remember which ones to take and don’t hop on the wrong one next time! When I was walking home from the bus stop I saw a man driving a pick up truck who looked just like my friend Andrew Caffrey. It was uncanny.

Right now Lauren is at the orphanage she will be working with. I can’t wait until she gets home and tells me all about it. Tonight we’re meeting a friend of a friend from WM for dinner. She happens to be studying here and it’s always nice to meet another person from the States.


One other interesting thing - our neighbor seems to be quite fond of ridiculously cheesy American love songs. Usually we hear Mariah Carey or Celine Dion. Today we heard "Take my Breath Away" from Top Gun at full volume. It was tight.

Alright, I’m out. Hope all is well back at home. Be sure to watch that Hoyt video if you are interested.

Much love,

dw


1 comment:

anon said...

"If you think up there, you're dead" - 243 tightness DW