Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Quick Post

We are going to lose power and then meet our friend Tommy, Ruthie's fiance, in a little bit but I wanted to at least post a quick update on today's adventures.

All three of us went to the Huembes Market this morning. Nefret wanted to pick up some gifts and Lauren and I thought we might find some cool things to send back with her as well. We took the bus there and shopped for about an hour before Lauren took a taxi to work and Nefret and I took the bus back home.

Lauren told me that there were only 3 kids at the orphanage today - the rest were either "out looking for a new school" or "being punished," as the story seemed to change throughout the day. Hopefully she will find out more tomorrow.

Nefret and I had a great lunch with the street kids. Nefret got a chance to talk with Ninoska for a long time while I went with the other kids to play on the rides. Turns out Ninoska isn't going to school right now because her school doesn't currently offer her grade. She says her classes will resume in January. Her dad is a security guard in Masaya and she only gets to see him once a week. although it is good to learn a little bit more about her I now just want to know more. We gave the kids a big bag of candy for Halloween, which they seemed to enjoy.

After lunch Nefret and I went and got my ID made to enter all of the baseball stadiums, and all of the LNBP (Nicaraguan Professional Baseball League) games, for free. The journalist I met yesterday, Gerald, told the ID office that I work for the Baltimore Sun. Now I have this hilarious press pass with my picture, name, and "Baltimore Sun" on it. I love it. The season just started so hopefully I will go to some games soon. I was just looking on the website - turns out my boy Gerald made the page with the schedule. This is a crazy country.

Gerald emailed me late last night and repeated his desire to help the kids. I emailed him back this afternoon to thank him for the pass and to ask him when we could meet to talk. I hope we can do that soon.

Ok, we are about to lose power and then go see Tommy, but I hope everyone is well. I'll write more soon.

Much love,
dw

No comments: