Saturday, October 20, 2007

October 19th, 2007 – Streetkids and Scooters

Another ridiculous day in Nicaragua! Lauren and I planned on heading to Metrocentro to buy some more minutes for our phones before she went to the orphanage, so we walked to the bus stop around 10:30. We waited for about five minutes before a man walked to his truck, parked right next to the bus stop, and asked us where we were going. When I told him he offered us a ride. Why not?

During the ride we found out that Walter works for a cell phone company and lives far away. That’s about the limit of dept my conversations in Spanish can reach. Upon reaching Metrocentro he asked to exchange emails and phone numbers. Only in Nicaragua.

We bought the phone cards and Lauren headed to catch her bus while I went to the coffee shop to read since I wasn’t due to meet Roberto at Scooter King until 2pm. He generously offered to drive me around and look at automatic scooters, despite the fact that we’d be visiting his competitors. I finished Henri Nouwen’s Life of the Beloved. I didn’t know much about the book before buying it but have always been a huge fan of his. He didn’t let me down.

The book is Nouwen’s attempt to appeal to seekers. He attempts to avoid Christian lingo and any assumed familiarity with “religion.” The relation between the book’s form and content is quite clearly intentional. The book is simply a letter to his friend Fred, who prompted him to write the book. The informal, intimate mode is a perfect medium in which Nouwen states, then expounds upon, the simple message, “You are beloved.” He encourages Fred to consider the notion that God loves him and discusses the ramifications for Fred’s life if he truly believed this. Nouwen beautifully describes the life of the beloved, in which one possesses an inner peace which allows life’s struggles to be viewed as simply a way to become closer to the Lord. Although Nouwen’s intended audience was seekers I was extremely challenged.

After finishing the book I sat pondering Nouwen’s assertion that “our life is the greatest gift to give.” Nouwen’s statement reminded me of 2 Corinthians 5:14,15 – “Jesus died for us that we might not live for ourselves but for Him.” What if I really took that seriously? So often I don’t want to. I love being in control of my life. To die to myself is to completely give up control, an intimidating thought.

With these questions dancing in my head I headed up the street to get some lunch at the sushi place on the way to Scooter King. Practically as soon as I reached the main road I was approached by two street children – kids who wash windshields at stoplights and hope for a Cordoba from the driver. They asked me for money, which is a daily occurrence here. Perhaps challenged by Nouwen to experience the joy that comes with giving I asked the boy and girl if they wanted to eat lunch with me. They excitedly smiled and agreed before asking if their friend could join. We headed to Tip-Top, a fried chicken restaurant across the street.

Over greasy chicken, fries, and cokes I got to know Sonia, Ninoska, and Kevin. Sonja, a cousin of the other two, is a third grader who likes soccer and wants to be a doctor. Ninoska is a fifth grader who wishes to help poor kids when she grows up. Kevin is a huge baseball, basketball, and fulbol Americano fan who likes studying math in the 3rd grade. He wants to be a sports commentator.

I felt like I was having a meal with my cousins instead of with kids who go to school in the morning and beg for money in the afternoon. We drew pictures, told jokes, and laughed at my terrible Spanish. The kids thanked me profusely for the meal. I was struck by their selflessness. Sonja took great pleasure in serving us our food, with herself last. Ninoska and Sonja wrapped up their leftovers for their families. The kids asked for my phone numbers and promised to call.

I’m writing about this story first and foremost to note how easy it is to forget the joy that comes with service. I fall victim to this every day. My brief time with the street kids was a much-needed reminder that they way of the Cross, living for others, really does bring about true peace and contentment. This notion is completely illogical in our society, which thrives on competition, and thus requires us to place ourselves out of our comfort zones. God promises to be faithful in claiming that giving of oneself really is a blessing. One merely has to look to his example – the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many," – Matthew 20:28.

I met Roberto around 2pm and he took me around to six different dealerships to look at scooters. I didn’t end up buying one, as the cheapest one was $1,320, but I thoroughly enjoying spending time with him. He went to college in Kansas for two years so it was fun to hear about his experience in the States. I thanked him many times for his assistance and he replied that he was treated very well in the States and that helping me was the least that he could do. I was touched by his act of service.

Roberto gave me many warning about places to avoid in Nicaragua and implored me to exercise caution when traveling. He told me how he got kidnapped once and now carries a gun in his car.

I also had a chance to talk to him about faith. He asked what my religion was, and I struggled through telling him that I don’t follow a denomination. He told me that he doesn’t follow any religion because he has trouble juxtaposing the Church, with all of its money, with all of the problems in the world. “Jesus was poor. He spent time with poor people,” he told me. I agreed, acknowledging that the Church has made many mistakes, then noted that I try to base my life on Christ’s because of the very reasons he put forth. It was a great conversation. We’re trying to meet up to watch baseball sometime soon.

The Lord is good. Living here has made me realize many of my shortcomings, which in turn has led me to rely on Him for strength. I have been so blessed by the Nicaraguan people as they continuously offer their assistance to me and show me what service looks like. At times I’ve struggled immensely with missing people back home but, again and again, God has used prayer and the support of family and friends to keep me going. I am so grateful to be here. Although there are many peaks and valleys I’m starting to realize more and more that God is not calling me to be “successful” here, but rather to merely seek Him in everything I do and everyone I meet.

1 comment:

SBGDOD said...

Faith helps but maybe take heed and also be a lot more careful about accepting rides my friend.
You are volunteering yourself in ways that could compromise your well being