Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A Nicaraguan Birthday

El Martes, 9 de Octubre

Happy Birthday, Lauren! As we’re coming to expect in Nicaragua, we were not able to celebrate Lauren’s birthday in an ideal manner. She was again feeling quite ill this morning and decided it would be best to stay home from class. A sad way to start one’s birthday! She is a champ, though, and never complained or even seemed upset.

So, I took a lonely walk/taxi ride to school and sat through class, during which I finished all of the material for Level 2. Both Lauren and I are planning on taking our respective tests tomorrow. Hopefully we pass!

(Right about now the power just came back on. Yes!!)

After class I wondered (aka got lost…) over to the Compassion International office here in Managua. I’m familiar with Compassion through their affiliation with my church in Baltimore and when I saw it while we were walking to the bus stop on Sunday I thought it might be worthwhile to check out. For those unfamiliar with Compassion – it’s a relief organization which helps serve very poor kids. People from the US and other countries can sponsor kids whom Compassion serves, thus allowing them to receive food, health care, and basic items. I’m reading the business card now – their motto is “Releasing children from poverty in Jesus’ name.” They also have a program during Christmastime in which people can fill shoeboxes with toys, clothes, and other gifts which are then delivered to the Compassion kids around the world. It’s pretty cool.

Anyways, I met with a lady there and there is a chance I might volunteer there. It’s quite far from being definite, but I think it would be a rewarding place to work. I am sharply tempering my excitement, particularly in light of the uncertainty inherent in any plans made here. I’ll definitely keep you all posted. We’ll see.

I then stopped by Pollo Campero for some protein and free internet before walking over to La Union to pick up some groceries. Lauren and I are really excited about the prospect of making pancakes, perhaps even for dinner tomorrow.

Lauren hung around here for the day with the exception of a walk and a trip to the Farmacia. She says she is feeling better now, and I hope and pray that she is back in business tomorrow. We postponed any birthday plans for tonight, but hopefully we can do something fun to celebrate soon.

Tonight we’ve been studying and writing emails. Nothing too exciting, and seeing as it’s 8:30pm I probably have about another hour of productivity before I fall asleep. I’m definitely not on college time anymore!

No internet in the apartment yet. The internet man is supposed to come at 12:30 tomorrow. Hopefully he shows up this time!

Every day is full of its highs and lows here. There are times daily when I want to pack up and move home, but then sometimes ten minutes later something happens and I realize how special of a place this country is. I pray all of the time to decrease the impact that events have on my attitude and outlook. I was reminded the other day that our attitudes are the one thing we can control. This is very hard for me to always, or even often, live out, but I think it’s important to recognize.

Alright, time to study and get to bed. Hope all is well.

Much love,

dw

1 comment:

Thomas Hanna said...

Happy Birthday Lauren!! Love and miss you much world traveler. I started reading your blog yesterday after Nana told me about it. I am going to show Nicole the blog tonight also. Her and her classmates will get a kick out of following Dylan and your travels and experiences in Nicaragua. Stay safe and talk to you soon. Love Uncle T.