Tuesday, October 30, 2007

From Monday, 10/29

I made my return to the Viva Spanish School yesterday morning. Nefret and I took the bus to Metrocentro, where she waited while I had class. I found yesterday’s 2-hour class much more manageable than the 4-hour classes we initially took. It was good to get back into “learning mode.” I am hoping these additional classes pay dividends in my time with the kids and my time here. I enjoyed walking back through the neighborhood where we lived when we first arrived in Nicaragua.

After class I walked back to Metrocentro to meet the kids and Nefret for lunch. I was anxious to sense the kids’ behavior and attitudes after Friday’s confusing events. I’m glad to say that the kids were back to their normal bubbly, giggly selves today. I’m still not sure what the reason for the difference in their demeanor was, but I was relieved that they were back to just being “kids” today. I realize that, as we spend more time together, our relationships will deepen and they will reveal more of themselves to me. It would be naïve to think they will be happy-go-lucky all of the time, but I am thankful that they are okay.

The girls have been asking for sandals for awhile now and Nefret told them she wanted to buy them yesterday. Nefret and the two girls disappeared into Payless (yes they have that here) and I was left trying to control three boys running around with dripping ice cream cones. One boy thought it was fun to try to turn off the escalator. Nefret and the girls emerged with the shoes likely just before we were, understandably, kicked out.

The rest of the day was fairly uneventful. We went to the grocery store, sat by the pool, cooked dinner, and sat around and talked in the dark due to the power outage.

Today Lauren and Nefret are headed to a resort with Vinny, a man who runs trips for volunteers here, and the kids from Lauren’s orphanage. I’m sure they will have a great time!

2 comments:

anon said...

few better ways of getting kicked out of a place dude. I like that.

Unknown said...

I miss Vinny! and Nicaragua! Continue to have a great week with Nefret.