Thursday, October 11, 2007

Catch Up: Digitally Connected

El Jueves, 11 de Octubre

So, apparently I have some catching up to do. Again. It’s funny that I don’t really have much to do here in Nicaragua, but I consistently seem to be falling behind when it comes to keeping everyone informed on what’s going on with Dylan and me. Here’s a little look at our past two days…

But first, let me just celebrate this one large feat – we have internet! Okay, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves…

Yesterday: Wednesday

Dylan and I started our day off fairly strong – I was feeling a bit better and we were both ready to face a day of school (with only three days left, we were thinking we could both handle it…). After finally catching a taxi to school, the downpour began (and lasted the majority of our day). Once at school – I received the news that I was being assigned new teachers. No longer would Claudia and Hanzel – my English speaking, very enjoyable Spanish tutors – be my tutors. Instead, I faced two hours of conversation with Eva – who speaks not a word of English – but, happily looks up every other word in her Spanish/English dictionary – and then two hours of grammar with Jema – Dylan’s tutor – who also speaks not a word of English. Unfortunately, Jema is not such a fan of the Spanish/English dictionary and so we struggled through our time together. While I was in the midst of my translational battles, Dylan was busy taking his exam to move up to Spanish level 3. Needless to say, as Dylan is such a stellar student, he passed the exam with flying colors and is now a successful Spanish level 3er.

After class we rushed home to meet Angel (our real estate friend) who was to serve as mediator between us and the CableNet people – who were coming to fix our internet. After less than fix minutes of computer tinkering, our internet was up and running. So, other than the blackouts, Dylan and I are now successfully connected to the digital world of communication. As a result, we spent the remainder of our evening taking advantage of our new connection and catching up with everyone back home.

Did I mention that somewhere in the midst of all that Dylan managed to carry a five gallon tank of water home – about 2 miles – instead of getting a taxi? He’s a baller.

Now, for today’s adventures…

Dylan and I are both feeling much better. We are attributing this to that 5 gallon tank that Dylan carried home yesterday. Well worth it.

Class today was a struggle – but good. Only one more day to go. Again, I struggled through my time with Eva and Jema – but had a brief break while I took my exam to move up to level 2. Unfortunately, I do not yet have the results of that exam – but I am feeling rather confident about my performance. Hopefully level two will begin tomorrow…

Not much happened today….

Dylan filled out invitations for my fiesta on Saturday. I am getting very excited to see what will come of this. Tomorrow we are stopping by the market to pick up a piñata. I promise we will be sure to post pictures of Saturday’s entertainment. Other than that, we have cooked our first batch of beans today. According to the instructions, they should have only needed four hours of cooking time – but, we cooked them from about 7:30 this morning until 9:30 tonight (minus that three hour blackout). They seem to be slow-cook beans. Tomorrow we are planning on consuming beans with all three of our meals. It should be delicious.

Okay – I think that is all for now. Again, I apologize if it appeared that we had disappeared for awhile.

I am looking forward to the end of our intensive language study, as it suggests the start of our service work down here. I am anxiously anticipating all that next week may offer – in terms of new adventures and new possibilities.

Thank you all again for your continued support and encouragement.

Miss you all.

Much love,


Lauren

No comments: